Dentistry/Drawing teeth

Hi, I'm an artist and have been practicing my drawing teeth. Its a bit challenging, so I'm  wondering what the general difference is between a male and female smile and the ideal shape and proportion for both. Being a dentist, I figured you'ld be the best person to ask?

This website has an amazing book about esthetics;

You can also Google 'tooth anatomy' to learn more about the different smiles.
In general, men's teeth are straighter and slightly flat. While women's teeth have a more rounded edge and may be slightly smaller.
There are many variances, though.

Another good option would be to find a local dental laboratory. The technicians there would be able to give you very good insight into the nuances of the front teeth.

Good luck!

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR