Dentistry/Dry socket

Hi, iv had my tooth pulled recently and am worried about dry socket. I cough a lot due to allergies and I heard it can cause dry socket, the tooth pulled was on top an it was actually an extra tooth behind another. It was loose and that's why I had them pull it, so far it  been just under 24 hours ,and I can feel with my tounge that there is a filled in feeling, I'm just nervous e becuse it's been very long since Iv been to the dentist and have had problems with teeth a lot. Thank you., also I have slight asthma and need my inhaler, can this prove a problem?

Sandra - Potentially any irritation can possibly help increase the chance of a dry socket to develop.  Allergies, in general, do not produce a dry socket.  Do not keep poking at the socket with your tongue or anything else - that can help produce a dry socket.  The inhaler, if used correctly will not cause a problem with the socket.

Be gentle.  Do not rinse the area for 48 hours after the extraction.  Stay away from chewing in that area.  So relax, be gentle and leave the area alone to allow it to heal well.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude