Dentistry/Dry socket

I had a bottom tooth excreted about 10 days ago 3days after the extraction I had horrible pain went to the oral surge was the one on call my regular was not in Was told it's the healing process but I have had many excretions and this was a different much much pain going into my ear and killing me it hurt so bad , left with no answers went back 2 days later my regular oral surge was there and he really examined me and it was a dry socket he packed it and said I might have to keep coming in but Try to hold off as much as I can he went on vacation , so this am after a horrible couple days with severe pain went back to that other dr in the practice to get it packed he said at this point he could not pack it any more and it just needs to heal didn't really exam it except to suction the area then saud it will feel better soon same as the first time I saw him nothing walked out in pain with no help is ther a time limit on packing a dry socket it is still a big hoke and I can see whit like bone please advise

Terri - It is obvious that the second surgeon is not truly honest.  He doesn't want to be bothered with doing any extra work.  Instead of removing the old packing, irrigating the socket and repacking it to get it better he does nothing.  

If the original surgeon is not around for a while, I suggest you find a different surgeon to examine you.  That second surgeon is not honest and you should not submit yourself to his idiotic and unfeeling actions.  

Find a different surgeon or wait for the original.  I wish you well and hope you feel better soon.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude