Dentistry/implant crowns

Question

I recently had an implant-supported splinted porcelain-fused-to-metal crown placed on the first molar and second premolar on the lower left side. The size and shape of the crown is noticeable smaller than the size and shape of the same teeth on the right side. This took me by surprise as I thought the crown would be around the same size and shape as the same teeth on the right side. Is this normal? I would think that crowns should look as close to real teeth as possible.

Another thing that took me by surprise is a metal border that is visible around the base of the crown, particulary on the side facing the tongue. What's the purpose of this metal border. Is this normal? Why wouldn't all the crown be covered with porcelain?  

I look forward to your reply.

Answer
Hello, sorry for the delay in response, ive just gotten back from vacation.
So, in regards to size... generally the cheek to tongue width should be a bit narrower, and the cusp heights shorter so as not to apply too much torque to the implant. this helps them to last. Should not be the same as a normal tooth because it doesnt work quite the same. A natural tooth is connected by fibers to the bone and gums, and has some movement ability. An implant is actually fused to the bone, and cannot move, so forces are distributed differently.The metal line is either the abutment (the piece under the crown which is screwed into the implant), or part of the crown, which was a choice by the dentist. I would suggest asking your dentist to explain why there is metal exposed. This should have been discussed prior to final fabrication of the crowns.

Dentistry

Marielaina Perrone DDS