Dentistry/Infection & extraction for failed root canal

Question
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review my questions, I very much appreciate it.

Background: Couple weeks ago had upper left, 2nd molar, extracted, as RCT failed.  It had RCT twice (last time was 5 yrs ago) & been infected for long time.  Been on and off antibiotics for over a yr for recurring sinus infections above that tooth, had x-rays, recent CT & saw ENT about infections.  ENT recommended go back to dentist to see about having the tooth removed before going for sinus surgery to see if infections resolved that way.  Dentist agreed, so tooth is gone. Dental Surgeon said was very badly infected, tooth fractured, took over 2 hrs to remove, & freezing not fully work, so was pretty sore. Took penvee & just now on clindamycin for a week, as still have infection.  Did have other tooth pulled few years back that also had failed root canal, which was redone more than once too.

Questions:  I am concerned about next step if this round of antibiotics does not clear up infection.  (I can feel it in my sinus, nose, up around eye-little swelling, just sore & feel awful).  Would it entail more antibiotics?

Having had 2 teeth fail RCT (both were done by endodontists and redone more then once), should I not consider them in future, if needed?  

Again, thank you for taking the time to review my ?.  I didn't think to ask dentist these ?'s at the time.

Answer
Dear Jae Lynn,

Root canal is not always successful, as you have experienced.  Even when done by the best of endodontists, about 4% of root canals fail within 5 years.  And more than 10% of root canal retreatments fail within 5 years.  Despite these statistics, root canal remains the best choice for treatment of infected, inflamed or painful tooth nerves.  The alternative is extraction and replacement by a bridge or implant.  Both these choices are more expensive and more extensive than root canal treatment.

Sometimes combining steroid medication with antibiotics will solve your sinus infection problem.  Also, be sure that there is not another tooth that is contributing to your problem.  You may want to suggest these ideas to your dentist or endodontist.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO