You are here:

Dentistry/Jaw Help Please


QUESTION: Hello I am 24 years old Male and for about a year now I have been experiencing a clicking or popping noise when I yawn. This is how it all started. About a year ago I had yawned and my mouth stuck open for a few seconds and wouldn't close. Then finally after a few seconds I was able to close my mouth. Since that has happened I noticed that when I yawn I hear a clicking or popping noise. I am deeply concerned if somehow I may have dislocated my jaw or misaligned my face from this experience. I would like to know what doctor, dentist or specialist I should see to find out if my jaw or face has been dislocated or misaligned in anyway and the best expert to correct those problems if any. Thank you for your time. I also tried to schedule a appointment with a oral surgeon in my area, I'm in Orlando,Fl, but every time I call one they tell me they don't see patients for Jaw or TMJ issues and they just refer me to a general dentist that specializes in facial pain. Thanks I could really use your help thank you.

ANSWER: Randy -  I am sorry to hear that you seem to be developing some type of TMJ problem.  It is important to intercept or correct the problem early or more serious problems could potentially develop.

I am referring you to a group of board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons.  They have an office in Orlando, along with ones in Winter Springs, Clermont and Orange City.  

Tne office is Central Florida Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.  The following is their address and phone number.

610 N. MIlls Ave, #100
Orlando, FL 32803
(407) 843-2261

Call the office and schedule an appointment for your TMJ problem.  I wish you well and hope they can define the problem and correct it.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your response. I actually got in touch with this office and the Doctor they was referring me to was one of their general dentists who specializes in facial pain. Should I still go even though it's not a Oral Surgeon I would be seeing?

ANSWER: Randy -  Often the problem is evaluated and discovered by the general dentist and corrected by them without the need for surgery or more extensive treatment.  If, however, their evaluation shows that the problem is internal within a damaged joint, then the surgeon would again be evaluated.  

So this is a good first step as an evaluation.  I hope a simple treatment by this doctor corrects your problem without the need for surgery.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Hello thank you and I will be making a appointment this upcoming week. I found another dentist that specializes in TMJ and he is rather close to me. I would like you to advise me if he is good to see as well for my condition or if you advise me to see the person you mentioned above. Here is his name,
Paul A Andrews DDS, PH.D
here is links to his information

If you can review his information and if he is a good dentist to see that can help fix my problem please let me know, but if you feel the person you mentioned to me before would be better please let me know as well. Thank you for your time.

Randy - I read all the sites and it seems that this doctor has treated TMJ for a while.  I really cannot determine his abilities so I feel a little uncomfortable recommending him.  I'm not saying do not see him, but I cannot say if he is truly knowledgeable and skilled.  

I have a difficult time really suggesting anyone in Florida without knowing them.  The doctor I recommended is certified in his specialty and that means a lot.  That is why I gave his name to you.  

Sorry I can't be more specific.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

Awards and Honors
National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]