Dentistry/pain relief..... too much??

today i seen an emergency dentist as i had a broken tooth which lead to an absess, severe pain and swelling of cheek.
before seeing dentist i took 4 panadol (500mg parcetmol each)
dentist numbed my gum ( don't know what was used) and he extracted the tooth to my relief. when i got home i was in more pain so took my last panadol and went to sleep.
i sent my partner to shop for more panadol but he returned with anadin (500mg aspirin each) i started taken them straight away.
only now im feeling unwell and realised I've actually taken 8 anadin in 6 hrs. if i include the panadol I've taken 13 tablets in just over 12hrs along with the "freezing" agent my dentist used.
im feeling nausiated, agitated and extremely hot! have i taken 2 much???
by the way i like in Ireland.

Hi Charlene and thanks for your question.

Sorry to hear about your horrid experience, but let me say that your story is far from an isolated one, because a persons desire to pain free can over-ride logical thought in times of acute pain.  Pharmacologically, you have overdone things a bit, because pain relief will be obtained with 900mg paracetamol and this will last for about 2 hours depending on your metabolism, weight, food intake, etc. The pain relief from paracetamol works solely from peripheral method after it is absorbed into the blood stream.  The added benefit of aspirin to your concoction of self-medicated pain relief, is that besides also worked peripherally, aspirin has the advantage of also acting on the pain locally (ie where is makes contact with the painful area) and you would have gotten additional pain relief if you gargled with aspirin over area very lightly before swallowing it down.  The down side of aspirin is obviously stomach ulcers in large doses and irritation of the gastric wall - hence your nausea - as well as inhibition of blood clotting, which makes the blood thinner and more difficult to stop bleeding.  But with the dose you had, this is of little or no value because this is mainly with chronic use/abuse.  But don't panic too much, because you are far away from a toxic level of wither drugs just yet and I imagine that your anxiety could probably still be a post-extraction reaction to the local anesthetic, which could increase your heart rate somewhat and given the stress of situation itself, it would not surprise me too much.

I suggest that you try to drinks as much water to try and flush the excessive paracetamol and aspirin from your liver and kidneys, which together with some well deserved rest for the day and knowing now that you haven't unintentionally attempted taking your own life, should allow your anxiety to dissipate.  Just make sure that take care of the extraction site properly so that infection doesn't set in again and if in any doubt about anything, contact your dentist and get advice.  I hope this helps and wish you a speedy recovery back to normal, take care.

Dr Craig Peck  

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)

I am a General Dental Practitioner, with special interests in Cosmetic Dentistry & facial aesthetics and Periodontology, placing a strong emphasis on the establishment and maintenance of a healthy periodontium (the support structure of the tooth) before cosmetic options are considered. I uphold all principles of prevention above interventional treatment and try as far as possible, to remain conservative in my approach. I believe in detailed, open and honest patient discussion, establishing what the patients expectations are and what the reality is of achieving this and involving the patient at every level of the treatment. I have strong principles on ethical treatment and appropriate patient management. I have chosen to treat and rehabilitate many nervous and phobic patients, who, for whatever reason, find it impossible to take part in the very important task of even a routine check-up. I will accept questions relating to general and cosmetic dentistry (in conjunction with the use of facial cosmetic procedures) and dental fears/phobias. I will be more than willing to answer any academic questions in dentistry, biology, physiology, psychology and health sciences in general. As most dentists will tell you, there is often not only one way of dealing with a dental issue - so very often, there is no precise right and wrong way of approaching the problem. All clinicians vary when it comes to treatments and what works best in their hands is often the treatment that is advised. Be understanding of this and bear in mind that nothing lasts forever! Patients are happy to accept only a one-years warrantee when buying a new car, but seem to expect that dental work is going to last them their lifetime.

I have worked for many years in the UK and RSA as a general dental practitioner - within the NHS, private practice and the government dental health services. I am certificated for the administration of Botox and Dermal Fillers for facial lines and wrinkles as I have attended further courses in minimally invasive facial cosmetic procedures. I started seeing an increasing number of patients who presented with severe to moderate dental fears, even with full-blown phobias, so I started with the slow and patient task of tackling this problem and have successfully rehabilitated many patients. The key is good, effective, concise and understandable communication, shifting control from the dentist to the patient in order to slowly, but confidently, regain their trust back in dentistry, thereby giving them the feeling of achievement and this self-empowerment which drives them to the next level of treatment.

Academy of General Dentistry. American Dental Education Association. IAPAM (International Association for Physicians in Aesthetic Medicine). Professional Speakers, Writers and Managements Consultants in Dentistry. The British Dental Association. UK Aesthetics Group. ARC - Aesthetic Professionals. Botox. Aesthetics & Beauty. American Association for Dental Research. FDI - World Dental Federation. SOURCE1uk. World Dental Hygiene Forum. ProDentalCPD. Public Health Dentistry. Dentist Network. LinkedIn. Who's Who of South Africa.

B.Med.Sc. Degree (Medical Physiology and Medical Virology; Physiology Cum Laude; Stell 1994). B.Ch.D. Degree (Bachelor of Dental Surgery; Clinical Dentistry Cum Laude; Stell 1997). CPR and CPR-Advanced Courses (2000/2001; UK). Clinical Botox (UK, 2001). Cosmetic Dermatology (Botox and Dermal Fillers; RSA 2011).

Placed on the Dean's List at University for academic achievement (1994). Highest achievement in the subject Dental Materials. Medal from 3M and the Radiology Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Dental Radiology and Imaging. Medal from The Periodontal Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Periodontology. Highest achievement for Oral Medicine. Highest achievement in Oral Pathology. Received the DASA (Dental Ass. of South Africa) Gold Medal for highest achieving dental student across the 5 1/2 years of the Degree. Passed the subject, Clinical Dentistry with distinction in final year.