Dentistry/Raised Filling?

Question
I'm wondering how do you tell if a filling is starting to raise? I was brushing my teeth lastnight and noticed that 2 fillings in 2 front top teeth looked slightly raised. I inherited bad teeth from both parents and these 2 fillings are larger fillings. I just noticed this yesterday and I can't feel any ridges when I run my tongue over the teeth but they feel rough when I gently run a finger over them. Is it normal for larger fillings to look slightly raised? Unfortunately it's been some years since I've been to the dentist and I don't drive and I'm on a low income with no affordable dentists that take low income with in walking/taxi distance.

Answer
Hi Leeann and thanks for your question which I am answering from the question pool.

You don't mention how long ago these 2 fillings were done but from what you explain, it is unlikely that both these 2 fillings would become raised without a definite joint cause.  Some fillings, especially in the posterior regions (molars and premolars) start to extrude from the cavity due to a number of reasons, such as an increase in cavity pressure, poor bonding of the material to the cavity walls, changes within the material itself due to incorrect mixing and/or application, etc.  What you could be experiencing is some wear of the filling at the filling-tooth interface or even some wear of the enamel of tooth, which would then make it appear as if the fillings are slightly proud of the normal tooth structure.  The ridges you speak about are called mamelons and much more prominent on teeth which have just erupted, but over time they tend to wear away under normal function - this is not remarkable or pathological in nature.  I would suggest that you make an appointment with your dentist just to make sure the integrity of these 2 fillings is still fine and the cancel out anything more sinister developing there, which would inevitably be more costly for you.  At the same time, have a general check up because in dentistry, fore warned is fore armed and you don't need any unpleasant surprises later on. I hope this helps and wish you a painless resolution of this problem.  Take care.

Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)