Dentistry/reaction after dental work

On a follow up visit to my dentist to have 3-crowns placed, I had multiple injections, build up and pins on back upper right molars.
the next day I had severe swelling on the entire right side of my face. From the cheek bone down to the jaw. Some pain, very tender and ulcers around the area where work and injections were done.
Also some tissue peeling from injection site. I returned to the dentist several days later. They say it's an allergic reaction to the anesthesia. It is now 8-days later, swelling has went down,but still very noticeable. Is this an allergic reaction? I have browsed many sites and have not found any info similar to my situation.

hematoma of psa
hematoma of psa  
Hi deborah
I am so sorry for your state. What you are suffering from is called as hematoma(localised collection of blood) . The numbing technique used to numb upper back teeth involves the needle to pass extremely close to certain blood vessels called superior plexus of veins.
In some indivduals the position of the plexus may vary and the needle may actually nick the plexus.. As result of which bleeding into the cheek area takes place and subsequent symptoms that u have described. There is nothing we can do about such an incident and is a calculated risk we take in every patient.
However the results are not permanent and the swelling and brusing heals and clears off in a week to ten days.
Just rinse with warm saline water 5-6 times a day for next week and take tylenol for pain and discomfort. You can apply topical ulcer gel available at department stores to ease the pain of the ulcers.
Its called as " hematoma following psa nerve block"
Best wishes
Dr mayank

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS

rootcanals, cosmetic dentistry, dental pain, cavities, tooth colored fillings, endodontic diagnosis, post & cores, ceramic veneers, composite fillings, dental whitening, bleaching etc. please remember: i cannot treat you online and neither can i touch your teeth or test their health! i can give you general suggestions and critically evaluate various treatments and offer my advice.

14 years of clinical experience. i am a professor in a postgraduate dental school, in the department of endodontics. my primary field of specialization is in endodontics and conservative dentistry. i am a consultant endodontist in private dental clinics and run my own clinic restricted to conservative dentistry & endodontics since 2006.

DENTAL SPA, JAIPUR (INDIA). Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, jaipur(india)

new york state dental journal journal of contemporary dental practise

BDS, MDS (conservative dentistry & endodontics)