Dentistry/root canal concern

Question
Dear Dr. Spindel,
    I recently went to the dentist (about 2 weeks ago) to have four of my teeth worked on.  I should note that this is a dentist I chose after he gave me a second opinion when the first dentist wanted to give me 8 root canals. My one tooth is still aching a bit each day and retains cold sensitivity, but not hot sensitivity.  I was concerned about the ache so I called a week ago to have the teeth looked at and he adjusted the bite.  They also tapped my teeth to see if I felt pain when they did so.  I did not feel any pain from that.  I am still feeling discomfort so I am wondering if this is normal after the filling of teeth with deep decay?  Thank you for your time and patience!

-John

Answer
Dear John,

Teeth with deep fillings can sometimes experience an ache afterwards , but it is not an encouraging sign. If one of my patients experiences this symptom, I believe that they may eventually require root canal.  If I have placed a composite filling , I may remove it and place a sedative filling ( Irm or miracle mix) . If the patient still has an achey tooth afterwards the I am likely to recommend they consider going ahead and having a root canal.

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com