Dentistry/root canal concern

Dear Dr. Spindel,
    I recently went to the dentist (about 2 weeks ago) to have four of my teeth worked on.  I should note that this is a dentist I chose after he gave me a second opinion when the first dentist wanted to give me 8 root canals. My one tooth is still aching a bit each day and retains cold sensitivity, but not hot sensitivity.  I was concerned about the ache so I called a week ago to have the teeth looked at and he adjusted the bite.  They also tapped my teeth to see if I felt pain when they did so.  I did not feel any pain from that.  I am still feeling discomfort so I am wondering if this is normal after the filling of teeth with deep decay?  Thank you for your time and patience!

Dear John,

Teeth with deep fillings can sometimes experience an ache afterwards , but it is not an encouraging sign. If one of my patients experiences this symptom, I believe that they may eventually require root canal.  If I have placed a composite filling , I may remove it and place a sedative filling ( Irm or miracle mix) . If the patient still has an achey tooth afterwards the I am likely to recommend they consider going ahead and having a root canal.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics