Dentistry/size of implant-supported crowns

I recently had an implant-supported splinted porcelain-fused-to-metal crown placed on the first molar and second premolar on the lower left side. The size and shape of the crown is noticeable smaller than the size and shape of the same teeth on the right side. This took me by surprise as I thought the crown would be around the same size and shape as the same teeth on the right side. Is this normal? I would think that crowns should look as close to real teeth as possible.

Another thing that took me by surprise is a metal border that is visible around the base of the crown, particulary on the side facing the tongue. What's the purpose of this metal border. Is this normal? Why wouldn't all the crown be covered with porcelain?  

I look forward to your reply.

Sounds like you got a very nice restoration . The reason for the metal collar on the tongue side surface is to keep the contour of the restoration thin in that area. Porcelain in that region would add unwanted bulk that would be bad for the
Gum area. Routinely we prefer to make the biting surface of the implant supported crown narrower . This protects the implant from the powerful biting forces in the posterior region. A lab or dentist not properly trained would make the mistake of mimicking the natural teeth . Sounds like everything was done fine

Rafael Mosery,D.D.S.

I`m a practicing general dentist for 29 years. Member of ADA,NYSDA,SDDS. In addition I am a fellow of the ICOI.My emphasis is on Implant Dentistry .I would be happy to answer questions regarding implant dentistry as well as general dental questions. Ofcourse within the limitations of no clinical exam and the absence of radiographs .

Private practice for 29 years. Have kept up to date with continuing education throughout that time.

ADA,NYDSA,SDDS,ICOI fellow,Penninsula Hospital Dental Society

NYU College of Dentistry DDS 1984 NYU College of Dentistry Surgical and prosthetic implantology program 1999-2001