Dentistry/Tongue Sores from temp crown cement

I had prep done on 3 crowns done 6 months ago, but have not yet returned to have the permanent crowns installed due to unforeseen circumstances. Hope to get back there soon. I have painful sores on the side of my tongue where the temporary crowns sit and was wondering 1) if the cement could be causing the sores and irritation and 2) if there is anything I can do to treat the sores until getting back to my dentist (who is in a different state from me).

Hi suzzane
Tongue sores from old temporary crowns are common.... Buy an ulcer gel(if available) from a local departmental store.....
If u cant find it then i guess u'd have togo to a nearby dentist and get it looked into....
My take: plastics like temp crowns grind out quite rapidly, as a result the teeth tend to shift from their position to compensate, probably ur crownswould have to be remade..... Be prepared for that.
Best wishes
Dr mayank

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS

rootcanals, cosmetic dentistry, dental pain, cavities, tooth colored fillings, endodontic diagnosis, post & cores, ceramic veneers, composite fillings, dental whitening, bleaching etc. please remember: i cannot treat you online and neither can i touch your teeth or test their health! i can give you general suggestions and critically evaluate various treatments and offer my advice.

14 years of clinical experience. i am a professor in a postgraduate dental school, in the department of endodontics. my primary field of specialization is in endodontics and conservative dentistry. i am a consultant endodontist in private dental clinics and run my own clinic restricted to conservative dentistry & endodontics since 2006.

DENTAL SPA, JAIPUR (INDIA). Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, jaipur(india)

new york state dental journal journal of contemporary dental practise

BDS, MDS (conservative dentistry & endodontics)