Dentistry/Tooth infection?

Question
My husband and I were trekking in Nepal when he started to experience some discomfort on the right side of his mouth in the general vicinity of a previous root canal. The tooth in question was directly in front of the previously infected one. As we started our descent down the mountain he was in excrutiating pain from this with extreme heat/cold sensitivity, and his cheek a little swollen. The next day the cheek was even more swollen and thd pain still excrutiating so we made the decision to go all the way down in one day (13 hrs!) in order to get access to medicine.

We grabbed some amoxicillin and he has been on it for 3 days now. He virtually has not had any pain for the past 3 days and can eat/drink fine. The swelling is all but gone but his throat was a little sore and red the last two days. I wanted to wait until we left Nepal in 5 days before seeking dental care as I don't trust it where we are and his symptoms are minimal.  What would you suggest?

Thank you

Answer

Sorry for the delay in responding.

It's really hard for me to tell you what to do, since there is not much information to go on.
Putting your husband on antibiotics was a good first step, but that's not going to resolve the issue. It'll just make it better temporarily.

As soon as possible, I would see a dentist for a comprehensive examination. If the dentist finds that everything is in order, then you may want to see and MD as it may be related to throat/soft tissue.

Either way, I am glad that your husband is feeling better and am very impressed with your quick descent from the mountain! :)

Dentistry

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD