Dentistry/Tooth pain

Question
Thank you for your service. I have had soreness/pain on my right upper pre molar for the last 2 days. I have been taking Motrin every 6-8 hours and my dentist just called me in a precription of antibiotics to start to see if it resolves or I see him in 4 days. This tooth had a root canal 5 years ago. However, it was not intially "crowned". My new dentist did "seal" it last year due to it never having any additional work after the orginal root canal. I have othersie healthy teeth. This pain is worse at night. The tooth is sore upon applying pressure but the Motrin keep the pain at bay, in the meantime. ANy suggestions? I was under the impression a root canal would prevent the tooth from acting up in the future. 5 years later at that!

Answer
Hi bob!
I am sorry for your plight!
Root canals fail! Thats a reality! They do.... Even the best ones do... About 10 in 100.
I dont see an xray so i cant opine in detail.... Visit ur dentist (i hope he/ she is an endodontist) & get the tooth evaluated for the possibility of retreatment root canal....
Hurry the longer you wait.... The worse its gonna get.
Best wishes
dr mayank kaurani
India

Dentistry

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS