Dentistry/Torn frenulum.

Question
Hi there. My frenulum (I believe it's called) in the upper lip of my mouth was damaged by accident about 3 days ago when I accidentally got the edge of a folder right to the top of my mouth when trying to look down whilst holding the folder. It's quite painful and is noticeably worse today, to the point where I found it extremely painful to even smile or chew. It's slightly swollen, and I think brushing my teeth doesn't help the situation. Any advice on healing time/home treatment I can do to ease pain and speed the healing? Thank you!

Answer

As long as it's a minor cut, and not something that requires stitches, it should heal just fine. It will be very sore for a few days up to a week. The best thing is to use warm water rinses, and to keep the area as clean as possible.

Using OraJel can help minimize the discomfort to the area.

Basically, it just needs some time to properly heal.

Good luck!

Dentistry

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD