Dentistry/wisdom tooth.

Question
Hello. Ive been refered to my maxillofacial department here in the uk. Im due to have 3 wisdom teeth out on the 9th april under local anisthetic. I have just discoverd i will be only 8/9 wks pregnant. Is it safe?

Answer
Abigail - it is not recommended nor completely safe for the child, as long as there is no emergency, that extractions be done during the first trimester which lasts about twelve weeks.  At that point the extractions can be considered if there is an emergency problem requiring treatment.  If, however, the problem is not an emergency, it is better to put the extractions off until after the baby is born.

So, put off the extractions, at least for a few weeks if there is no emergency.  

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired