Dentistry/wisdom tooth.

Hello. Ive been refered to my maxillofacial department here in the uk. Im due to have 3 wisdom teeth out on the 9th april under local anisthetic. I have just discoverd i will be only 8/9 wks pregnant. Is it safe?

Abigail - it is not recommended nor completely safe for the child, as long as there is no emergency, that extractions be done during the first trimester which lasts about twelve weeks.  At that point the extractions can be considered if there is an emergency problem requiring treatment.  If, however, the problem is not an emergency, it is better to put the extractions off until after the baby is born.

So, put off the extractions, at least for a few weeks if there is no emergency.  

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude