hi dr. kaufman,
 i've noticed recently that my teeth are less than pearly white and was wondering what kind of cleaning options are available. specifically i've noticed like black spots on my teeth along the crevices and gumline area (not exactly on the gums but above)which i hear about in smokers but i dont smoke and i brush regularly.
 i've heard about bleaching but keep reading that it's not permanent, but does that mean the stain isn't being removed or just covered up or etc? any other options i can try, whether its at home or at the dentist's?
 also what possible risks are involved with the popular cleaning procedures? is bleaching safe? i recently heard about scaling but it just sounds violent? specifically when i go to the dentist he uses this industrial strength powerbrush to remove the stains (which KEEPS COMING baCK!!!!), but the high torque leaves me worried about enamel damage. i mean i want my teeth to be white and all but not at the expense of destroying enamel.
 also last question how can i keep my teeth clean? i know it sounds silly but i brush and floss yet these stains keep coming back! and the strangest part is there was a long period of years where i hadnt seen the dentist and there were no stains. there was nothing wrong with them and i only went to the dentist after my insurance started nagging me. it was  after i went back to the dentist that i began seeing these stains near the back of my teeth. i dont wanna sound suspicious but the timing seems odd. maybe that initial cleaning stripped my teeth of the enamel?
 thank you!

Dear James:
Sorry for the delay.
I am glad that you have decided take good care of your teeth.  It is that a good decision and will keep you in good health.  There are several procedures which should be done at a dental cleaning.  Typically, ultrasonic scaler, commonly known as a cavitron, is used with lots of water, to vibrate the tartar off your teeth.  After that, a hand scaler is used to finish the job remove the deposits of your teeth.  After that a rubber cup brush is used to polish in remove any residual stain.  However, this method can not remove the stains in the crevices of your teeth and in between the teeth.  My hygienist and I prefer to use a device called jet polisher or cavijet.  It mixes water and special baking soda with very high air pressure to remove all stains.  It is like a power washer for your teeth, and works amazingly well.  Our patients who have severe staining issues come in for a "touch up" service in between their traditional cleaning, just to get their teeth jet polished.  Just ask your dentist or hygienist if they have the machine know how to use it properly.
The only way for you to keep your teeth trouble free for a lifetime is to perform excellent home care and go to the dentist for a professional cleaning at least twice a year.  The risks involved in dental cleanings are minor and negligible compare to the benefits.  The nonsense you read is put out by the same people who complain that seat belts in a car can damage ones clothes.  Your suspicions are purely coincidental.
Take good care of your teeth.
Best wishes,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.