Dentistry/clogged ear after root canal and new cap

Tooth No 30 - Cavity and root canal 6 weeks ago; temporary bridge in place now on Teeth # 30, 29, 28, 27 -   2 weeks after root canal the right ear started to feel clogged;  What is causing this?  What should be done about it.  My endodontist said the root canal was fine, the tooth was in good condition.  However, he wants to do a 2nd root canal to put some medication in since it is inflamed at this point.   Will I be exposing myself to additional problems.  Thank you for any assistance you can ofer.

Dear Roberta:
Sorry to hear about your pain.  If this is related to the dental work, it could be to the compression of your Temporomandibular joint TMJ.  The posterior, back, teeth help support the joint.  If the temporary work is short of contact with the upper teeth, ear symptoms might result.
You should go and see a prosthodontist right away for a second opinion.  The prosthodontist is the specialist in restorative, cosmetic, and implant dentistry.  This is part of our specialty training. will have a link to a prosthodontist near you.
Unfortunately, without personally examining you, this is all the information that I can get you.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.