Dentistry/communication with sinus cavity after tooth extraction

Dr. Teig,

I had two molars surgically removed on Dec. 11, 2012 and during the procedure the oral surgeon told me there was a communication with the sinus cavity. I was put on antibiotics and followed the surgeon's instructions and the hole seemed to close up. But, the problem is that I have constant drainage is yellow and thick and runs down the back of my throat. I also have a horrible taste in my mouth and it seems like I can always smell the infection. This has never happened before so I can only assume it's a result from the surgery. I have been back to the oral surgeon twice and have been put on augmentin two more times but it is not clearing up. I can't take this thick discharge and smell and taste much longer. Is there anything I can do to help this problem? Thank you for your time!

Vicky -  I cannot be sure that the opening is still there without examining you, but in some way saliva from the mouth has probably entered or is still entering the sinus causing an infection of the sinus.  After this length of time the sinus needs to be examined by an ear, nose and throat doctor.  That doctor will probably irrigate the sinus and possibly have xrays taken of the sinus.  That infection needs to be cleared and then an evaluation needs to be made to see if a hole into the sinus still exists.  

So if the surgeon does not give you a successful answer or help see an ENT doctor.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude