Dentistry/Cracked crown

My crown cracked earlier today, and I won't be able to see a dentist until tomorrow. It's still in place, just has a big crack running across the top. My question is whether or not it's safe to eat? I am worried about infection if something gets in there. I'm super anxious so I'm not hungry yet, but I haven't had anything since a very light lunch and it's a long time until my appointment tomorrow. Thank you.

Dear Megan:
I am sorry to hear that you have a cracked crown. However, without having a look clinically at your crown I can only tell you that in general the crack it is not an issue.   as long as you are not in any pain or discomfort, this will not be an issue. Make sure to brush and floss properly after you eat. The best thing to do is not to chew with that tooth.
as I said, this is all that I can give you based on the information you have given me.
I strongly advise you to call your dentist and ask him this same question.
best of luck,
Dr Zev Kaufman.

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.