Dentistry/Cracked mollar

Hello, I had a filling done a month and a half ago and it is hurting when I chew. The pain is caused on release. My dentist sent me to a specialist today and she said it seems my mollar is cracked. My concern is that it was not hurting prior to the filling. Is it possible the dentist cracked my tooth when she did the filling? Or what else could have caused it?

Dear Camila,

Your question is a difficult one to answer.  If your tooth had decay, and your dentist found that decay, your dentist is obligated to tell you about the decay and about how he will go about fixing your tooth.

We know that cleaning out decay is like a minor surgical procedure that can cause mild damage to the nerve inside the tooth.  In our practice, we warn our patients that there is a small chance that fixing a cavity could lead to a sensitive tooth, and the eventual need for root canal.  Until we open into a tooth, there is no way to know what the result will be.  95% of the time the result is good and causes no pain, or pain that dissipates over time.

Having said all that, what you describe does not sound typical of a cracked tooth.  Rather I would recommend that you wait before doing anything.  Put yourself on a soft diet for 3 days.  If you can, take ibuprofen (Advil), 2 every 4 hours for 3 days (don't wake yourself at night to take them).  On Tuesday, start to chew gently on the tooth.  See what happens.   If the pain continues, contact your dentist and ask him to reduce the bite on this tooth.  Then wait 1 week.  Then let me know if sensitivity persists.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.