Dr. Mosery, In April I had a pfm crown installed on #30(#31 is extracted). The crown appears to sit a little lower than the tooth did. However no problem with hot or cold. I've done no heavy biting as I requested temporary adhesive due to some pain and concern that a RC would be required. The tooth has since calmed down and I only have slight TMD issues with teeth not feeling that they fit correctly. All that being said, my question is: The crown does not look like a tooth. The biting surface is almost flat, no cusps to speak of. Look more like a marshmallow than a tooth. Is this normal and customary for a crown on this tooth? Thank you for your reply.

The crown should have similar grooves and anatomy as your natural teeth.If you grind your teeth and most of the cusps and grooves have been obliterated due to wear then the conforming profile of a smooth surface might be just fine.Ask your dentist see what he/she thinks.

Rafael Mosery,D.D.S.

I`m a practicing general dentist for 29 years. Member of ADA,NYSDA,SDDS. In addition I am a fellow of the ICOI.My emphasis is on Implant Dentistry .I would be happy to answer questions regarding implant dentistry as well as general dental questions. Ofcourse within the limitations of no clinical exam and the absence of radiographs .

Private practice for 29 years. Have kept up to date with continuing education throughout that time.

ADA,NYDSA,SDDS,ICOI fellow,Penninsula Hospital Dental Society

NYU College of Dentistry DDS 1984 NYU College of Dentistry Surgical and prosthetic implantology program 1999-2001