Dentistry/crown build up

I was recently told by my dentist that tooth #18 had a cracked filling and would need replacing.  Since her prices have become out of my range, I went to a dental clinic.  After an exam and x-ray was told that the tooth had decay and cracking and needed a crown.  She did a crown build up, which I doubt was necessary, since the amount of decay was minimal.  My question is, will the build up hold up as well as a filling if I don't go ahead with the crown and just leave things as they are.  It looks and feels fine.
Thank you,

only the dentist who did the buildup can answer this. i do not know what material he/she used. some people use permanent plastic material but sometimes people use a weaker material that is meant to be under crowns and thus is not permanent. also i do not know what kind of contour was filled in. many times things are built up to full contour. ask the dentist these questions. good luck

jeff dalin, dds

Jeff Dalin DDS

general dentistry questions with topics ranging from cosmetic dentistry to dentistry for children

Fellowships in American College of Dentists, the Academy of General Dentistry, and the International College of Dentists.