Dentistry/Dental Diet

Question
Hello,

When eating sugar and carbohydrates, I know that how often (the frequency) matters more than how much you consume. Therefore, is eating a salad (with dressing), grilled chicken strips and a slice of lemon pound cake too much for lunch? What about another salad (with dressing), grapes and chicken noodle soup for dinner. I only ate the cake because it was my birthday. Other than that, I eat fruits (i.e. pineapples, grapes, plums, peaches, strawberries and nectarines) as snacks. I drink water 99% of the time. I did not wait longer than thirty minutes either times to floss, brush my teeth (electric), and I used anti-plaque mouthwash and a flouride rinse. Can you give me an example of a healthy meal for dental health? I don't snack in between meals, so what is an example of a daily diet that is bad for your teeth?

Two of my molars are sensitive, but 3-4 dentists at the same practice looked at them and said nothing needed to be done because the fillings were holding up well. The molars feel heavy and feels like something is crawling in them. Sometimes I feel a very dull ache or shooting pain, strange feeling in my ear and a headache. They all checked the teeth and said they are okay. It could be that they are settling (had them filled last year) or it could be that I'm clinching or grinding my teeth. What do you think? Thank you.

Answer
The correlation to diet and dental caries has more to do with frequency of meals than what is consumed.  That being said, the diet you described seems fine from a dental health perspective.  The best thing you can do is brush your teeth after every meal.

You can always get an opinion from another dentist outside of the practice you're at now.  Usually a dental pain or tooth ache would be very obvious and hurt all the time.  With the erratic and vague nature of your pain, I'm inclined to propose this is related to grinding/clenching.  TMJ symptoms can produce pain similar to a tooth ache and refer to teeth.  You may want to have a nightguard made and see if that helps your symptoms.

Please discuss these issues with your dentist and see if he/she agrees.

Hope this helps,
KG Amin, DMD

Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics

Dentistry

Ketan Amin, DMD