Dentistry/Dental procedures and TMJ/jaw pain

I am booked to have a crown prep .... about 1 1/2 hours. I have arthritis in my jaw and it is quite painful to keep my mouth open for any length of time. How can I keep my mouth and jaw open for that length of time? I've tried a bite block but it doesn't help.
Thank you.

Dear Diane:
it is difficult to answer the question since I cannot personally examine you. However, you must remember that the crown preparation appointment, even though given for an hour and a half, does not require you to keep your mouth open the whole time. The best thing to do is to talk to your dentist about your difficulties and maybe he can extend the appointment time to allow for brakes and stops so that you can rest. I have done this with numerous patients in the past , and working together is the best solution.
Unfortunately this is the only advice that I can give you based on the limited information I have.
Best of luck to you,
Dr Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.