Dentistry/Double Jaw Surgery Risks

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dr, I have a question about the long terms effects of double jaw surgery in adults.
My Mom (36) is having Bi-Maxillary Advancement  in the following weeks.
She had orthodontic work done with permanent teeth extracted when she was twenty six years old. Now her jaws are too far back Causing her face to collapsed. She also have severe tooth reabsortion in some of her teeth.
The only solution that she sees is jaw surgery. She said that plastic surgery is not an option in her case. I am really worried about her. I have read that jaw surgery in adults have more complications, and the healing process is longer. I would like your most honest opinion in her case. Do you think would be worth it doing the surgery at her age? and would this type of surgery bring her more bad that good? please help!

Thanks

Kamila

ANSWER: Kamila -  First of all, 36 years old is not old at all for this type of surgery.  The reabsorption is most likely from the orthodontic treatment and the poor positions of the upper and lower jaws to each other.  

In general, your mother is at an ideal age for this type of surgery.  At her age weakening of the bones has not occurred and the bones, if lined up well after the surgery should heal without any problems.  If done well, the results should be excellent.  The key factor for comfort and is the surgeon's skills and the proper alignment of the teeth with orthodontics.

So relax.  This should be a straight forward surgery and after a few days of discomfort, your mother should begin healing quickly.

If you should have any additional questions now or during her healing, feel free to contact me again.

QUESTION: Thank you Dr. Teig, What about permanent numbness? Is it common to permanently lose all sensation in your chin after having jaw surgery?
Thanks so much again!

Kamila

ANSWER: Kamila - Due to the position of the nerve within the lower jaw, even if the nerve is not cut or traumatized, it can go through a period of numbness just from the lengthening of the lower jaw.  If the nerve is cut or traumatized, then the numbness has a chance to be permanent.  If, however, the surgeon doing the surgery is a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon, that doctor can often reverse the effects if discovered early.  Saying that, there is a chance of permanent numbness, but it is not often to be permanent.

Usually any loss of sensations is a temporary situation and the numbness usually goes away after a few weeks to a couple of months.

QUESTION: One last question, what are the changes that she'll achieve after the surgery?
 Right now her face looks Gaunt, narrow,and she had flat cheeks.

Will she gain the fullness of her cheeks back?

Can double jaw surgery narrow her face even more?

thank you again dr.

Answer
Kamila - this is a tough question for me to answer correctly without examining your mother.  The surgery can increase facial fullness or narrow it.  It all depends on the pre-existing situation and the plans of the surgeon.  So I wish I could be more informative, but it is tough without viewing the plans of the surgeon.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired