Dentistry/etting a Dental Implant After Tooth Extraction

Hi Dr, I just want your opinion in my situation. I would like to know if it's possible to put a Dental Implant at the same time after the tooth is extracted?

Kamila - yes a dental implant can be placed the same time as an extraction as long as the tooth is not infected, there is no periodontal disease or if there is any sign of an inflammation.  It is important that the doctor who does the extraction does not produce excess trauma during the extraction.  For that reason, having a skilled oral and maxillofacial surgeon doing the extraction and implant placement, versus a general dentist or other dental professional is important.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude