Dentistry/Filing Down Upper Bicuspid & cap?

About 2 yrs ago I came down with Bell's Palsy.  Unfortunately, I'm the 1 out of 4 who didnt fully recover in 3-4 mos and have some residuals and synkinises.

After the 1st 6 mos of recovery, I developed a 'bite tic' when chewing, esp with hard to chew foods, and it's always the same top bicuspid into the inner bottom lip---even had to nurse a mucocyte for a couple mos until found a 'coping mechanism' (fingers both sides of mouth with palm of hand under my chin). The repetitive damage takes 1 week to heal if I dont 'rebite!'

My question is, can I have the bicuspid 'filed down' and capped to minimize he damage as an aid in what has become a permanent problem when it randomly occurs?

I am sorry to hear about this predicament.
You can have the tooth crowned. However, I am not sure if this will totally rectify the problem. You still may bite into the bottom lip. If the entire tooth needs to be changed drastically, then you may need to first do a root canal on the tooth before it is capped.

So in short, yes, you can crown/cap it to change the shape. However, it may be more involved than just a crown, and I can't promise that this will 100% fix the issue.

I hope this gives you some insight!

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR