Dentistry/nerve damage

Question
When I had my lower wisdom tooth removed I suffered some nerve damage to my lower lip and chin. Numbness lasted 3-4 months.  I am worried now that I need to extract my 2 nd molar that the same may happen.  My oral surgeon says the root of the 2nd molar (root canaled failed) close to the nerve but does not feel its a high risk.  what are the odds of numbness again?

Answer
Vicki -  Without viewing an xray of the relationship of the nerve to the roots of the tooth, it is a little difficult for me to give you an exact answer.  In general, the relationship of the roots of a second molar are significantly further from the nerve vs the wisdom teeth.  For that reason alone, the chances of developing numbness after the extraction of the second molar is marginal compared to the wisdom tooth.

I hope my answer has helped.  If you have more questions, feel free to contact me again.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired