Dentistry/nerve damage

When I had my lower wisdom tooth removed I suffered some nerve damage to my lower lip and chin. Numbness lasted 3-4 months.  I am worried now that I need to extract my 2 nd molar that the same may happen.  My oral surgeon says the root of the 2nd molar (root canaled failed) close to the nerve but does not feel its a high risk.  what are the odds of numbness again?

Vicki -  Without viewing an xray of the relationship of the nerve to the roots of the tooth, it is a little difficult for me to give you an exact answer.  In general, the relationship of the roots of a second molar are significantly further from the nerve vs the wisdom teeth.  For that reason alone, the chances of developing numbness after the extraction of the second molar is marginal compared to the wisdom tooth.

I hope my answer has helped.  If you have more questions, feel free to contact me again.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude