Dentistry/Prefabricated Post & Core

Question
What is it and why? Also what is Retreat Root Canal on Anterior mean and why is it needed? Will antibiotics help if I have constant white bumps and swollen gums? Thanks

Answer
Dear Tom,

When a root canal becomes re-infected, or begins having pain, sometimes a root canal retreatment is indicated.  This means that the root canal is done over again, first by removing the material (usually gutta percha) used to seal the canal, then attempting to treat what is happening beyond the end of the root, using instruments and solutions that have been proven to work most of the time.  Once these treatments are completed, then the canal is sealed again to prevent bacteria from re-entering the now-hollow canal.

A prefabricated post is a post that fits into the already root-canalled canal of your tooth.  It is like a tiny dowel or rod.  It can be made of gold, stainless steel, titanium or carbon-fiber.  These are manufactured to different sizes to fit different sized root canals.  About half of the sealer is removed with an instrument selected by your dentist to resemble the diameter of your canal.  The post is then checked for fit, then cemented to place.  Now you have a post half inside your root, and half sticking out above your gum.  The dentist then selects a material to build around the post, so that it resembles what your tooth would have looked like after it is prepared for a crown.  Posts and cores are used to help anchor a crown to your root.  Often after a crown has had a root canal, if a post and/or core is not placed before making the crown, the tooth is materially weakened, and more likely to break off at the gumline.

White, swollen gums usually indicate infection.  Antibiotic should help this as long as you take the antibiotic.  Shortly after you stop the antibiotic, the infection will return.  Repeat this enough times, and you will develop a resistance to the antibiotic, making the infection much harder to control.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO