Dentistry/tooth extraction

Question
The tooth in question is the top left, third tooth from the center (#23, canine?) and there is an abscess on or near the root.

Is it better to have a maxillofacial surgeon extract the tooth or is a regular dentist just as competent for the job?

Is the purpose of a maxillofacial surgeon mainly for complicated extractions?

I found out that a maxillofacial surgeon charges about double for the same work as a dentist would. Is this because they are doing a more thorough or better job?

Answer
Naomi - The key question is the quality of your dentist.  If he is skilled and has experience extracting teeth, the extraction of a canine, as long as it does not have extensive decay should be simple.  If, however, that tooth has extensive decay that tooth should definitely be extracted by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.

So it really is up to you to decide, based on your past experience with the dentist and knowing about the tooth, where you should go to have the tooth extracted.  Oral and maxillofacial surgeons charge more because of their extensive training in surgery and the ability to do extractions and other surgeries without getting complications.

Whatever you chose, make sure you are comfortable with it.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired