Dentistry/Bumps on both mental foramen.

Hello, about 2 months ago, I noticed 2 bumps. There is one on each side, and they are both on the mental foramen regin of my mouth. They have not grown in size, and I do not have any abnormal symptoms. I have an appointment with my physician on Tuesday, but I'm restless, and I'm extremely nervous. The bumps are a little bigger than a pencil point, and I'm not too sure if they're moveable or not. If I Press on them, which I do sometimes, they hurt for a half day, but the pain goes away. It's the type of pain you would get by constantly touching a spot on your body, so I'm sure that's what it is. I'm really not sure what it is, and I quit chewing tobacco about a month ago. I did not do it for a long time, and I used to do a tin every 2 to 3 days. I'm am extremely nervous that I could have cancer, and I'm actually starting to become depressed. I'm not sure what it is, or if going to my normal doctor is enough.

Nicholas - I, of course, cannot be completely sure without examining you, but it is not abnormal to have a small bump at the location of where the mental nerve exits the bone.  The nerve, when it exits does often not lie completely flat and, in fact, there is a small rise in the right hand turn of the nerve as it exits the bone.  Pressing on any nerve for a small time will leave an area of soreness.

So from your description, the bump is just the exiting of the mental nerve from the mental canal in the mandible.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude