Dentistry/Crown on a cracked molar that has done root canal?

I just came back from 1st appointment of root canal for my upper molar.

There is a crack line on the tooth and my dentist asked me to consider whether want to do a crown or not after the root canal treatment. Reason is that there might still be problems after root canal on a tooth that has been cracked.

If I'm paying for a crown that won't last, or last only for 2 years, is it better not to do a crown?  The next time when that tooth has problem again, I will just ask the dentist to extract it. What is your opinion or advice?

THanks a lot!

Hi Kay,
Vertical Fractures are the most difficult part of dentistry and the most common reason why teeth need to be extracted.

It sounds like your dentist is trying to spare you the added expense of a crown since the tooth has a guarded prognosis.  

The crown is going to decrease the chance of the existing fracture from extending through the root.  I would wait 3-6 months and have the dentist re-evaluate the area.  The tooth seems to be doing well, then consider a crown at that time.  I would be careful not to chew anything hard on that side so you don't cause a larger fracture.

Root Canal Treatment is typically 92-94% successful and is a great option for people to keep their natural tooth (nothing better!).  However, fractures are challenging; I understand your frustration, but I would try to keep your teeth as long as possible.

Hope this helps,
KG Amin, DMD
Austin Center for Endodontics

Ketan Amin, DMD

Graduating from Harvard School of Dental Medicine, I received a broad understanding of both medicine and dentistry. I continued my training at New York University, as a dental specialist in endodontics, which concerns root canal therapy, related surgeries, as well as diagnosing and managing various forms of pain occurring in the head and neck

Dentistry; Specialist in Endodontics (Root Canal Therapy).

American Association of Endodontics American Dental Association American Academy of OroFacial Pain

Harvard School of Dental Medicine-Doctorate in Dental Medicine (DMD) New York University College of Dentistry-Certificate, Endodontics