Dentistry/Dark blackened tooth toddler not hurting

Hi.. I read an article on your page about black tooth caused by trauma.. My 3yo had the same experience
When she was just 2yo, She had a fall face down and knocked down her tooth, it bled but it didn't fell off.. After a couple of months, I noticed it turns gray, then to black.. Sometimes i noticed it turn lighter in color in one day then dark again the next day. When i asked her if it hurts when I tried to push it with my hand, she said it didn't hurt at all.. I'm worried if it will have a bad effect on her permanent teeth. I haven't consulted a dentist bec when i tried to talk to a dentist about it, she said that i'll just need to let it be bec it will fall off eventually and replaced by permanent teeth.. I did't buy that bec my daughter will not have her permanent teeth not until she's 6 or 7. Do you have any advice on what i should do first and what are the danger sign that i will need to look for to determine if that black tooth will have a bad impact on her future tooth. Or is there a chance that it will get a little lighter in color again, its almost 6 mos now and its still black..  I hope that you can help me.. Thank you.

It's true that the tooth will fall out eventually but you are right to be concerned.  First, after 6 months if the tooth is still black then it will probably remain black until it falls out.  One concern with an injured tooth is the chance of infection which can damage the developing permanent tooth. One main sign of infection is swelling of the gums near the injured tooth.  If there has not been any evidence of swelling then there's a chance that an infection did not occur.  You should still watch for any swelling of the gums near the tooth.
I would have taken an x-ray of the tooth to see if there are any other problems.  Without an x-ray it's just not possible to know for certain.

Dr. Randolph Myerson

Please limit your inquiry to questions about orthodontics (braces) and children's dentistry. I am both an Orthodontist and a Pediatric Dentist, having been trained in both of these dental specialty fields. Orthodontics is the dental specialty that treats problems of tooth, bite and jaw alignment using braces and removable appliances. Pediatric Dentistry is the dental specialty also known as dentistry for children, which deals specifically with the dental problems of this special age group from infants to adolescents. I am also experienced in Forensic Dentistry, the application of dentistry to law enforcement and identification using dental records.

I have been in the private practice of orthodontics and pediatric dentistry for over 20 years. Prior to that I served for three years on the Cleft Palate and Cranio-facial Reconstruction team at Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia and was an Assistant Professor of Dentistry at University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. I also served as a dentist in the U.S.Air Force, stationed at Andrews AFB in Washington, DC.

I am a Fellow in the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, and a member of the American Association of Orthodontics, as well as a member of the American Dental Association and the Dental Society of the State of New York.

I received my BA in Biology from Frankin & Marshall College in 1969, and my dental degree from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine in 1973. In 1978 I received both my Certificate in Orthodontics from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, and my Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry from Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia after completing a three year Teaching Fellowship in Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry in 1978.