Dentistry/gum pain

i took 2 rounds of antibiotics and got a yeast infection in my mouth, first one ever i am 49 years old.  the doctor prescribed magic mouthwash. i have been using it for almost 2 weeks, my tongue is better, even though it is still a little raw, but now my top teeth and gums hurt and have a tingle feeling in them.  my 2 front teeth are capped and my gums are not red or swollen.  i thought it might be the mouthwash because it leaves my mouth numb for about 30 minutes after i use it.  but has been 2 days since i used it and they still hurt.  i having been rinsing with a mixture of water, baking soda and salt but no relief yet. so i need some help

Hi Susan and thanks for your question.

Oral thrush can be a tricky one to treat sometimes and it often makes a re-appearance later on.  It would seem quite self-explanatory that the 2 courses of antibiotics could have been causatory for this event by changing your normal bacterial flora in your mouth to such an extent that natural immunity that the oral cavity possesses against thrush, was also adversely affected.Just make sure that the mouthwash you are using doesn't contain any added sugar or alcohol, because that can be used as food substrate on which the yeast can feed, thereby propagating their growth and making clearance that much longer. With all that your mouth has been exposed to during the past month or so, I think it would be wise to try and get your normal oral bacteria and pH to return to normal, naturally. This may take a week or 2, but carry on with the salt and bicarb rinses - and nothing more unless anything develops in the meanwhile, in which case make an appointment with your dentist and get it evaluated. I suggest that you also take a pro-biotic to assist your body re-establishing its normal commensal bacterial populations, which will facilitate your oral pH returning to normal.  I hope this helps and wish you all the best for a speedy recovery from this problem.  Take care

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)

I am a General Dental Practitioner, with special interests in Cosmetic Dentistry & facial aesthetics and Periodontology, placing a strong emphasis on the establishment and maintenance of a healthy periodontium (the support structure of the tooth) before cosmetic options are considered. I uphold all principles of prevention above interventional treatment and try as far as possible, to remain conservative in my approach. I believe in detailed, open and honest patient discussion, establishing what the patients expectations are and what the reality is of achieving this and involving the patient at every level of the treatment. I have strong principles on ethical treatment and appropriate patient management. I have chosen to treat and rehabilitate many nervous and phobic patients, who, for whatever reason, find it impossible to take part in the very important task of even a routine check-up. I will accept questions relating to general and cosmetic dentistry (in conjunction with the use of facial cosmetic procedures) and dental fears/phobias. I will be more than willing to answer any academic questions in dentistry, biology, physiology, psychology and health sciences in general. As most dentists will tell you, there is often not only one way of dealing with a dental issue - so very often, there is no precise right and wrong way of approaching the problem. All clinicians vary when it comes to treatments and what works best in their hands is often the treatment that is advised. Be understanding of this and bear in mind that nothing lasts forever! Patients are happy to accept only a one-years warrantee when buying a new car, but seem to expect that dental work is going to last them their lifetime.

I have worked for many years in the UK and RSA as a general dental practitioner - within the NHS, private practice and the government dental health services. I am certificated for the administration of Botox and Dermal Fillers for facial lines and wrinkles as I have attended further courses in minimally invasive facial cosmetic procedures. I started seeing an increasing number of patients who presented with severe to moderate dental fears, even with full-blown phobias, so I started with the slow and patient task of tackling this problem and have successfully rehabilitated many patients. The key is good, effective, concise and understandable communication, shifting control from the dentist to the patient in order to slowly, but confidently, regain their trust back in dentistry, thereby giving them the feeling of achievement and this self-empowerment which drives them to the next level of treatment.

Academy of General Dentistry. American Dental Education Association. IAPAM (International Association for Physicians in Aesthetic Medicine). Professional Speakers, Writers and Managements Consultants in Dentistry. The British Dental Association. UK Aesthetics Group. ARC - Aesthetic Professionals. Botox. Aesthetics & Beauty. American Association for Dental Research. FDI - World Dental Federation. SOURCE1uk. World Dental Hygiene Forum. ProDentalCPD. Public Health Dentistry. Dentist Network. LinkedIn. Who's Who of South Africa.

B.Med.Sc. Degree (Medical Physiology and Medical Virology; Physiology Cum Laude; Stell 1994). B.Ch.D. Degree (Bachelor of Dental Surgery; Clinical Dentistry Cum Laude; Stell 1997). CPR and CPR-Advanced Courses (2000/2001; UK). Clinical Botox (UK, 2001). Cosmetic Dermatology (Botox and Dermal Fillers; RSA 2011).

Placed on the Dean's List at University for academic achievement (1994). Highest achievement in the subject Dental Materials. Medal from 3M and the Radiology Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Dental Radiology and Imaging. Medal from The Periodontal Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Periodontology. Highest achievement for Oral Medicine. Highest achievement in Oral Pathology. Received the DASA (Dental Ass. of South Africa) Gold Medal for highest achieving dental student across the 5 1/2 years of the Degree. Passed the subject, Clinical Dentistry with distinction in final year.