Dentistry/impaction

Question
Please take a look at this panaramic of my wisdom teeth. The two lower ones are erupted. One has a large amount of tooth loss/ cavities. The two upper ones have not erupted. But when I feel back there with my finger it feels like the upper ones are closer to erupting than they appear in the xrays. Because the gums feel close to the same level as the rest of my molars, and I feel something hard underneath them which has a toothlike feel.

I am 34 years old. My question is whether the wisdom teeth seem dangerously impacted. And is there a good chance that they will eventually erupt healthy?

I have images of the xrays taken. I could not attach them to this post, but please email me and I will send them.

Thanks for your time

Answer
Hi Noah and thanks for your question.

My email is doccwp@gmail.com, please attach the OPG X-ray so that I can advise you further. I will respond on this site again once I have received it. Take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Hi Noah, after examining the sections of the OPG which you kindly sent me (although the clarity has somewhat been lost along the way), in my opinion there is no need for concern. Your lower wisdom teeth have moved into good alignment and have erupted without further incident and would appear as if they are in stable occlusion with your upper molars. At the the age of 34, I feel there is little chance of your upper wisdom erupting anymore, although there does appear to sufficient room for them to do so distal of the 2nd molar. The angulation of the right one might well be prevented from erupting further due to its proximity and relation to the distal (back) part of the 2nd molar, being somewhat "locked-in" and preventing its further movement. I feel that, if after 34 years it has not been possible for them to erupt in a normal fashion yet, they are more likely to remain where they are and unless they are troubling you or so indicated by your clinician, I would suggest you leave them as is. Bare in mind also that there is a degree of enlargement that occurs with OPG's (up to 20%) and unless the quality of the X-ray is optimal, it is often very difficult to distinguish the soft tissue which radiographically less dense.

Another issue which I feel I should mention to you regarding your OPG, is the possibility that you may have some premature horizontal bone loss, which can be an indication of periodontal breakdown.  Don't get worried just yet, but I would like you to mention this to your dentist at your next appointment and I feel it would be worth doing a full 6-point perio charting of your pockets and using this as a baseline to evaluate the progression of any further breakdown. If this advances, then even consider a referral to see a periodontist to get this brought under control and managed effectively. But let your dentist assess the situation and advise you accordingly, just mentioned it for completion sake.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best further, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)