Dentistry/Implant won't stay in

Question
My wife has had two implants done to replace an
awkward bridge she had had for many years. This was two years
ago. Each implant has fallen out multiple times. Her dentist
dutifully reinserts them, sometimes improvising some
supposed improvement in their anchoring. Most recently,
she inadvertently pulled one out when she hooked it with
floss. She says that bone was supposed to grow around
them to anchor them permanently. I feel that I should
question the dentist as to how long we should tolerate
this, but my wife doesn't want me to "make waves."
Her previous dentist told her she was not a candidate
for implants. She later switched to the other member
of the partnership because she preferred his personality.
He told her that implants would work. Evidently not. Could
she return to a bridge -- perhaps one of better design
than the one she hated? What other options are there?

Answer
Charles - A new bridge is possible if the space between the teeth in no more than missing two teeth.  If more, then a different approach, such as implants is appropriate.  

Other options might be a removable partial denture, but rather than giving up on the implants, the most probable cause of the implant failures is the doctor inserting them.  There are so many dentists who are attempting implant placement without a solid history of performing surgery.  This is one of the major causes of implant failures.  Implant placement is a technically specific regimen which requires that the doctor inserting the implant perform procedures before implant placement to insure the quality of the bone in the area.  

My suggestion, versus not having her proceed with probably the best replacement technique, is to have her evaluated by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon for an appropriate plan for implant success.  That is my recommendation to have her examined by a specialist.  

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me again.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired