Dentistry/non-descending tooth

Question
My son is almost 8 years old.  He lost his upper lateral incisor three months ago and the adult tooth is visible by x-ray in the gum but has yet to descend.  Same with his father who now has a Maryland Bridge in place of the tooth.  Is there anything we should do now or should we wait until he is older to try something?

Answer
Dear Maria:
As a parent, I completely understand your concern.  However, at this point the only thing that you can do, is to go and see a pediatric dentist, or orthodontist.  Each person is an individual, and should be treated that way.  The answer to the question consists of many factors, and it is impossible for anyone online to give you an answer.  The pediatric dentist or the orthodontist, will be able to look at the xrays and evaluate your child's mouth clinically, to see if there is enough room for the tooth to erupt.  Only then will you be able to make an educated decision.  Just remember that any dental work and Orthodontics done in childhood, is way cheaper and better then work done when he is an adult.
Www.aapd.org and www.braces.org will have more information on locating the appropriate expert in your area.
Best of lock,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.