Dentistry/Osteoneycrosis of Jaw

I am a 65 year old female with metastic breast cancer.  I have and still am receiving Zometa.  I have developed the "no cure" osteoneycrosis of the jaw.  I am looking for anyone that has treated this awful disease.  I would like to make sure the jaw bone doesn't continue to die and become exposed.  

I am dealing with my disease and anything I can do to reduce the stress will help me watch my grandchildren graduate from high school.  

There has to be something ??

Barb Miller

Barbara - I, personally, was never a specialist in the treatment of osteonecrosis.  There are doctors in America that are specialists in its treatment.  I am going to provide the names of three doctors in America.  They may not be close to you, but it might be worthwhile to contact them and have them evaluate and hopefully help you.

1) Charles Glueck M.D., Medical Director, The Cholesterol and Metabolism Center

Dr. Charles Glueck is who I have been working with closely. I feel confident posting his information and encouraging others to contact him.

Charles Glueck, M.D., has devoted the last decade of his career to clinical research and patient care in: clotting disorders, ocular thrombosis, osteonecrosis, idiopathic intracranial hypertension, amaurosis fugax, sporadic and recurrent miscarriage and is the author of over 600 scientific papers.
◾Address: Cholesterol Center, 3200 Burnet Avenue, 5BAP Cincinnati, OH 45229
◾Phone: 513-924-8250
◾Fax: 513-924-8273

2) Thomas A. Einhorn, M.D., Chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, and Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery,  Biochemistry and Biomedical Engineering at Boston University

When I was first on my quest to find help I was told about Dr. Einhorn and the stem cell surgery he was doing for Osteonecrosis (Avascular Necrosis) patients. I sent Dr. Einhorn my discs, he was very gracious and reviewed them and called me back. Unfortunately for me my disease was in multiple patches and I wasn’t a candidate for stem cell surgery. However, I know he has had a lot of success with many ON (AVN) patients and I highly recommend contacting him.
◾Address: Boston University Orthopaedic Surgical Associates, 720 Harrison Avenue,Suite 808, Boston, MA 02118
◾Phone: 617-638-8435
◾Fax: 617-638-8493

3) Joseph M. Lane MD., Chief of the Metabolic Bone Disease Service at Hospital for Special Surgery

Specalizes in metabolic bone diseases. Dr. Lane has published several clinical papers on bone biology, tissue injury and repair, trauma, bone and soft tissue sarcomas, limb preservation, functional amputations, limb regeneration, and metabolic bone diseases (osteoporosis, Paget’s disease, rickets, osteomalacia, fibrous dysplasia).

Quote from AVN sufferer about Dr. Lane: “If you are looking for stem cells, Dr. Joseph Lane at Hospital for Special Surgery in New York should be considered….I did have to wait 3 months to see him. Before one sees him he sends a prescription for a complete blood count, plus calcium and vitamin D situation… He spent time with me which is unusual. He gave me a percentage of the size of lesions in my hips which is totally unusual. He uses Forteo (bone building drug) with Fosamax for his patients he also does stem cells.”
◾Address: Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021
◾Phone: 212-606-1172
◾Fax: 212-772-1061

All of these doctors have extensive experience.  I hope one of them can help you.  If I can assist you, please feel free to contact me again.  

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude