Dentistry/pain and nerve pain after tooth extraction

I was in the process of having a root canal but dentist could not get all of the nerve out. it did not show up in x-ray and the Dr. was puzzled. I had it pulled  ( lower molar ) thinking it would take care of the nerve pain but after the numbing wore off I can still feel the very bad nerve pain on right side of jaw where tooth was extracted. How do I get rid of the nerve going threw all of my lower teeth now and no sign of infection present and I'm a great flossier. HELP!!

Marilyn -  I cannot be sure without examining you, but the pain you are having sounds like you have developed a condition call a "dry socket".  If your dentist cannot recognize what is ongoing, then you must see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to treat the dry socket.  It is a simple treatment that must be done now.  

In the interim, begin warm salt water rinses for about 2 minutes, 4-5 times a day in the area of the extraction.  That sometimes helps, but either have the dentist treat it or have him send you to a surgeon.

I wish you well and hope you feel better soon.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude