Dentistry/pain and nerve pain after tooth extraction

Question
I was in the process of having a root canal but dentist could not get all of the nerve out. it did not show up in x-ray and the Dr. was puzzled. I had it pulled  ( lower molar ) thinking it would take care of the nerve pain but after the numbing wore off I can still feel the very bad nerve pain on right side of jaw where tooth was extracted. How do I get rid of the nerve going threw all of my lower teeth now and no sign of infection present and I'm a great flossier. HELP!!

Answer
Marilyn -  I cannot be sure without examining you, but the pain you are having sounds like you have developed a condition call a "dry socket".  If your dentist cannot recognize what is ongoing, then you must see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to treat the dry socket.  It is a simple treatment that must be done now.  

In the interim, begin warm salt water rinses for about 2 minutes, 4-5 times a day in the area of the extraction.  That sometimes helps, but either have the dentist treat it or have him send you to a surgeon.

I wish you well and hope you feel better soon.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired