Dentistry/proper night guard

Question
What kind of dentist or lab does one need to contact in order to have a night guard made that would take into account the comfortable relaxed position of the jaw - instead of just bite impressions?

What is your best recommendation of how to proceed - for those who need a night guard?

Answer
Shanti - Yours is a very good questions, since there are many night guards made by dentists who know very little about the proper bite and the appropriate night guard.  Bite impressions along with plaster models are important to fabricate a proper appliance, but the impression needs to be done in a relaxed and not fabricated position of the jaw.  

The best doctors I have founds who are knowledgeable are periodontists, prosthodontists and oral and maxillofacial surgeons.  All these doctors a always dealing with the natural position of the jaw and not just fabricating appliances or doing treatments in the wrong position of the jaw.  So those three specialists are the ones that I would recommend.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired