You are here:

Dentistry/proper night guard


What kind of dentist or lab does one need to contact in order to have a night guard made that would take into account the comfortable relaxed position of the jaw - instead of just bite impressions?

What is your best recommendation of how to proceed - for those who need a night guard?

Shanti - Yours is a very good questions, since there are many night guards made by dentists who know very little about the proper bite and the appropriate night guard.  Bite impressions along with plaster models are important to fabricate a proper appliance, but the impression needs to be done in a relaxed and not fabricated position of the jaw.  

The best doctors I have founds who are knowledgeable are periodontists, prosthodontists and oral and maxillofacial surgeons.  All these doctors a always dealing with the natural position of the jaw and not just fabricating appliances or doing treatments in the wrong position of the jaw.  So those three specialists are the ones that I would recommend.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

Awards and Honors
National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude

©2017 All rights reserved.