Dentistry/resin composite vs crown

Question
Hi, When i was younger I chipped my front tooth. The dentist put a what I'm guessing is a resin composite (I know it's not a crown). It's been many years since I've had it done and is now pretty discolored and is even wearing away a little. I went to the dentist yesterday and they are saying I need to do a crown. That a composite just won't be effective. I guess I'm just not understanding why I they can't just take the old composite off and replace it with a new one? They said there was some decay in the tooth and that was part of the problem. Do you think I really need a crown, or would i be ok with a composit? Could I get a new composite now and then get a crown later?

Answer
Hi Brenda,

One of my biggest pet peeves is that I always like directing someone toward a specialist.  That is someone who has a more expert focus in just one area giving you the best chance at good advice.

Depending on how long ago you went to your dentist, he may be right in saying your tooth may have some decay or is in some way a little different than the first time you had your tooth fixed.  The decision on what to do about it may be different depending on what is going on in your mouth years later.

Before you do anything, I think I would check with a good Prosthodontist.  One of the things a Prosthodontist does is maintain the appearance and comfort of your teeth.  He would be more likely to factor in the appearance and smile of your teeth.

A crown would be a last option that I would consider.  Typically a crown would be far less expensive than a total restoration of your tooth.  Did you tell your dentist you are on a budget or that money is a factor?  That could be one reason why he suggested a crown.

Short answer....go to a Prosthodontist.  Good luck and let me know how that goes.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble