Dentistry/Reversal of Le Fort 1 osteotomy

Question
QUESTION: Dr. Teig,
I read your response to "Lisa" on 6-29-2006 who asked if there was a way to reverse a Le Fort 1 osteotomy.  Like Lisa, I have been extremely dissatisfied with this surgery.  You told Lisa hers could probably be reversed (hers was 4 years prior).  Mine was 25 years ago and I am now over 60 and have osteopenia.  Is there any hope for me? I know it would a painful process but I'd be willing to go through it.

ANSWER: Marty -  If you truly have osteopenia, a revision of the jaw relationship would be difficult.  Recut bone might be difficult to heal and that could create more of a problem. I wish I could be more positive, but if you were my patient, I would probably suggest that surgery to redo the upper jaw should be avoided.  Sorry.

If you have more questions, feel free to contact me again.

QUESTION: Dr. Teig,
If the osteopenia is only minimal, would you still not recommend it?  I can't stand the way I look. How bad does the osteopenia have to be before it's too late to do a reversal?  You say it would be difficult to heal,  but what if I were willing to have my jaw wired shut for an extended period?

Answer
Marty - If the osteopenia is minimal, it is probably possible to do the surgery, but my suggestion is to have your surgeon speak with a specialist who assists in the treatment of osteopenia.  That specialist might be a rheumatologist or an endocrinologist who along with your physician and oral and maxillofacial surgeon determine if you bone is of a proper density and has adequate blood flow for bone healing.

So find a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and tell him of your osteopenia. Let that doctor work with the other specialists to make the determination.  I wish you well and hope you are a candidate.  

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired