I saw this on a previous question you answered, and have a further question about it:

"there can be other reasons for sensitivity other than decay. one is simple gum recession. it will cause sweet and cold sensitivity. a crack will produce cold and chewing pain. decay is usually cold and sweet pain. a nerve issue is usually heat pain and spontaneous pain"

What if someone has sweet and chewing sensitivity, but not cold/hot or spontaneous pain? Went in for a tooth cleaning (and got a clean bill of dental health from the dentist) less than 2 weeks ago, and now a little bit of pain is popping up. Once with something sweet, and twice with chewing. He did say that I grind and have some wear, so I wonder if it's from that. I need to get with my orthodontist about a night guard to replace my overnight retainer.

grinding can cause some chewing sensitivity...kind of a soreness when you chew, not a sharp pain. the sweet sensitivity can be some exposed dentin or root surface. i would look into the night guard to help take some of the stress away. and maybe try a desensitizing toothpaste like sensodyne to help out with the sweet sensitivity. good luck

jeff dalin, dds

Jeff Dalin DDS

general dentistry questions with topics ranging from cosmetic dentistry to dentistry for children

Fellowships in American College of Dentists, the Academy of General Dentistry, and the International College of Dentists.