Hi I have two questions. The first one is my side two teeth are starting to cross over my front two theeth on both sides. 23 and 26 are crossing over 24 and 25 this are the numbers. Is their anything that I can do to reverse this. I brush my teeth every day. My next question is I had a root canal on tooth number 3. The dr did the canal I told her it still hurt she said oh well I can't do no more it is because of the work done so she capped it. So no more than a week later I was right I still have problems with it. It feels like it has pressure in it and it feels like it needs to be drilled to relieve the pressure. It also pops a lot and itches on the inside. What does that mean. Last question. My other tooth had broken. It is number 14. It is black where it had chipped and it pops verry loud in the morning. What could that be. Also I have problems with my ears my ear dr swears it is TMJ. I wore a mouth guard for 6 months plus and it had no change does it take longer for it to make a difference. Thanks.

Hi Sean and thanks for your question.

Firstly, I would suggest that you make a concerted effort to find a dental practice and dentist that you trust, so that you are able to discuss these issues freely with them. I get the feeling that you somewhat hesitant to pose these questions to your current clinician, given your bad experience and on-going discomfort following the root canal and crown. Some root canals do take considerably longer than other to become asymptomatic, depending on the extent of original infection, condition of tooth, discrepancies in your bite, etc. Your symptoms might well be exaggerated by the presence of possible TMJ pathology and given that this was diagnosed previously, I hesitate to say otherwise. The night guard should be worn every night for as long as you live and as long as there is suspected TMJ involvement. This apparatus cushions the traumatic occlusion that is often more obvious during the nightly sleeping patterns, due to involuntary jaw movements and left unmanaged, will result in a steady increase in TMJ-associated symptoms due to more damage to the joint. So its not only a diagnostic tool, but the night guard can be seen as a preventative appliance to better manage underlying TMJ dysfunction and discomfort. And it would not be unrealistic to imagine that the symptoms of this TMJ dysfunction could be elicited from the teeth, as your bite changes and the pathology in the joint continues.

For the overcrowding, get a referral to see an orthodontist and get their opinion on the matter.  If you have some space which can be utilized in realigning these teeth, then some form of fixed/removable appliance can be used, depending on the degree of movement needed. If you haven't had your wisdom teeth removed, then discuss with your dentist, because very often impacted wisdom teeth cause considerable pressure on the other teeth, resulting in overlapping of teeth as the available natural spaces between teeth get obliterated as the teeth start to overlap. This happens especially when the jaws are small or unusually shaped and when there is little or no free space available in the dentition to play with. The orthodontist will be able to give you a better indication of what treatments are available and which will suit your needs and pocket the best.

For the root canal treated tooth which was crowned, I would get a referral to see an endodontist, a root canal specialist, to get this tooth evaluated before blindly agreeing to treatments without a definite diagnosis of the problem is made first. The fact that you still have symptoms indicates that all is not yet fine in that area - could be another tooth or the added complication of your TMJ and this must be evaluated by your dentist fully. I would suggest a referral to see a Max-Fac Oral Surgeon for your TMJ first and go from there because without addressing your TMJ, one will never be sure what is the cause and what is the symptom of so many intra-oral problems which are experiencing.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in resolving these issues speedily and painlessly.  Take care.

Kind regards
DR Craig Peck

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)

I am a General Dental Practitioner, with special interests in Cosmetic Dentistry & facial aesthetics and Periodontology, placing a strong emphasis on the establishment and maintenance of a healthy periodontium (the support structure of the tooth) before cosmetic options are considered. I uphold all principles of prevention above interventional treatment and try as far as possible, to remain conservative in my approach. I believe in detailed, open and honest patient discussion, establishing what the patients expectations are and what the reality is of achieving this and involving the patient at every level of the treatment. I have strong principles on ethical treatment and appropriate patient management. I have chosen to treat and rehabilitate many nervous and phobic patients, who, for whatever reason, find it impossible to take part in the very important task of even a routine check-up. I will accept questions relating to general and cosmetic dentistry (in conjunction with the use of facial cosmetic procedures) and dental fears/phobias. I will be more than willing to answer any academic questions in dentistry, biology, physiology, psychology and health sciences in general. As most dentists will tell you, there is often not only one way of dealing with a dental issue - so very often, there is no precise right and wrong way of approaching the problem. All clinicians vary when it comes to treatments and what works best in their hands is often the treatment that is advised. Be understanding of this and bear in mind that nothing lasts forever! Patients are happy to accept only a one-years warrantee when buying a new car, but seem to expect that dental work is going to last them their lifetime.

I have worked for many years in the UK and RSA as a general dental practitioner - within the NHS, private practice and the government dental health services. I am certificated for the administration of Botox and Dermal Fillers for facial lines and wrinkles as I have attended further courses in minimally invasive facial cosmetic procedures. I started seeing an increasing number of patients who presented with severe to moderate dental fears, even with full-blown phobias, so I started with the slow and patient task of tackling this problem and have successfully rehabilitated many patients. The key is good, effective, concise and understandable communication, shifting control from the dentist to the patient in order to slowly, but confidently, regain their trust back in dentistry, thereby giving them the feeling of achievement and this self-empowerment which drives them to the next level of treatment.

Academy of General Dentistry. American Dental Education Association. IAPAM (International Association for Physicians in Aesthetic Medicine). Professional Speakers, Writers and Managements Consultants in Dentistry. The British Dental Association. UK Aesthetics Group. ARC - Aesthetic Professionals. Botox. Aesthetics & Beauty. American Association for Dental Research. FDI - World Dental Federation. SOURCE1uk. World Dental Hygiene Forum. ProDentalCPD. Public Health Dentistry. Dentist Network. LinkedIn. Who's Who of South Africa.

B.Med.Sc. Degree (Medical Physiology and Medical Virology; Physiology Cum Laude; Stell 1994). B.Ch.D. Degree (Bachelor of Dental Surgery; Clinical Dentistry Cum Laude; Stell 1997). CPR and CPR-Advanced Courses (2000/2001; UK). Clinical Botox (UK, 2001). Cosmetic Dermatology (Botox and Dermal Fillers; RSA 2011).

Placed on the Dean's List at University for academic achievement (1994). Highest achievement in the subject Dental Materials. Medal from 3M and the Radiology Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Dental Radiology and Imaging. Medal from The Periodontal Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Periodontology. Highest achievement for Oral Medicine. Highest achievement in Oral Pathology. Received the DASA (Dental Ass. of South Africa) Gold Medal for highest achieving dental student across the 5 1/2 years of the Degree. Passed the subject, Clinical Dentistry with distinction in final year.