Dentistry/Tingling , Burning sensation & numbness

Question
Hi ,

My name is Sethu, im from Hyderabad...I Had a Root canal on my left  Lower Jaw, 7th Tooth. After several sittings it was not fixed , post that doctor adviced to remove the Wisdom tooth(8th Lower Tooth). Even after removing the wisdom tooth Problem remains the same & finally i requested doctor to Remove the 7th Lower Tooth .
Unfortunately  More that a YEAR im suffering from several problems ,,which includes Tingling , Burning sensation and numbness . Initially it was only on my left lower Jaw ,, now got spread to all parts of Jaws.  Mostly left jower jaw is more irritating and painful.
Met several doctors,,,,one doctor says its dental paresthesia and other says its aggressive periodontitis .....recently took medicines for aggressive periodontitis ......still problem remains the same .........PLEASE HELP ME  its been  18 MONTHS IM SUFFERING,,,,,ANY SOLUTION????

Answer
Sethu - Your symptoms of tingling, burning and numbness usually indicates that your problem is of neurological in origin.  Usually the problem originates from a localized inflammation of nerve tissue.  Is the problem from a tooth or is it from a main nerve?  It sounds like more of an inflamed nerve and to correct that problem, if an acute inflammatory condition is not evident, the use of anti-inflammatory medications should be the initial medication arrest the inflammation.  If that does not work, you might need to be evaluated by a neurologist or an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.

I wish I could be more informative, but I would need to run some tests in the area to better define the source of the problem.  I suggest that you make an appointment with an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to evaluate the area.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired