My 85 year old mother had an apicoectomy on tooth #7 on April 3rd, 2013.  She has been in consistant pain (no relief) since then.  The pain is located in the tooth and up to the base of the nose.  She has been through 3 anti-biotics and a steroid pack (recommeded by endodontist.)  She has seen a ENT and an oral and facial surgeon.  The x-rays have indicated that all is healed.  All Doctor's are calling it a mystery at this time.  What is your opinion and what should her next step be.  She can not live with this constant pain.
Thank you very much.  Am looking forward to your imput.

Peggy - It is obvious that none of those doctors really know how to deal with this problem.  I suggest that you take your mother to the University of Oklahoma Health Science Center -Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery for an evaluation.  Call (405) 271-4441.  When you call, tell them that you want her examined by Dr. Steven Sullivan or Dr. Kevin Smith and not one of the residents there.

I wish her well and hope your mother will soon be helped.  If I can help in any way, please feel free to contact me again.  

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude