Dentistry/bone loss

Question
I am 36 and had all my teeth removed in my early twenties,I had reconstructive surgery done july 2012 and now i am told i will have to have more bone added for implants.I also have tingling and numbness with shooting pains go thru a part of my bottom lip after the mesh had to be removed a month early because it was coming out on its on.I also had to have a screw removed from my upper graft because it was protruding and coming out not long ago.I am very concerned with these problems and have some severe pains in my jaw bone and the tmj,which was also irrigated and cushion put back in place,my question is how can i lose the bone and is it likely my surgeon didnt do something right? I dont want to keep going thru these surgeries for nothing.I had alot of swelling and long healing time from that surgery.i also had sinus graft done along with block bone grafting on lower using cadiver bone because i have ostepenea i didnt feel it would be safe to use my own bone due to that.was i wrong and what should i do? please help.

Answer
Salena -  You have obviously endured quite a bit since the grafting.  It is now a year later and problems seem to be continuing.  At this stage, if healing was progressing normally, you should not still be losing bone.  

If your surgeon cannot come up with a reason for a continuing of the problems a full year later or predict when it will all stop being a problem, you should probably get a second opinion from a different board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If you know of no others, get back to me and tell me where you live and I will send you names of other board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons in your area.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired