Dentistry/brackets keep falling

Hi, Im 13 years old and my back left bracket keeps falling off. It f, fell off on a Friday and got fixed that day. It fell off again on Saturday when I was brushing, I had to wait until Monday to get it fixed. It fell off again on Tuesday I don't know when, but I poked it with my tongue and noticed it was loose... I really don't understand, because I chew on the right side of my mouth. Can you please tell me what I can do about this?

The most important thing you can do to prevent this from happening is to chew carefully and avoid biting down on that bracket.  If you are certain that you are doing just that, then there is nothing else you can do to prevent this bracket failure.  Just keep going back to have the bracket replaced.  Since it is the same bracket that repeatedly fails on the same tooth then maybe there's something unusual about that particular tooth that prevents proper attachment of the bracket.

Dr. Randolph Myerson

Please limit your inquiry to questions about orthodontics (braces) and children's dentistry. I am both an Orthodontist and a Pediatric Dentist, having been trained in both of these dental specialty fields. Orthodontics is the dental specialty that treats problems of tooth, bite and jaw alignment using braces and removable appliances. Pediatric Dentistry is the dental specialty also known as dentistry for children, which deals specifically with the dental problems of this special age group from infants to adolescents. I am also experienced in Forensic Dentistry, the application of dentistry to law enforcement and identification using dental records.

I have been in the private practice of orthodontics and pediatric dentistry for over 20 years. Prior to that I served for three years on the Cleft Palate and Cranio-facial Reconstruction team at Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia and was an Assistant Professor of Dentistry at University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. I also served as a dentist in the U.S.Air Force, stationed at Andrews AFB in Washington, DC.

I am a Fellow in the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, and a member of the American Association of Orthodontics, as well as a member of the American Dental Association and the Dental Society of the State of New York.

I received my BA in Biology from Frankin & Marshall College in 1969, and my dental degree from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine in 1973. In 1978 I received both my Certificate in Orthodontics from University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, and my Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry from Children''s Hospital of Philadelphia after completing a three year Teaching Fellowship in Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry in 1978.