Dentistry/dental fillings

What is the newest and the best material for dental fillings?

Mohamed - I am very biased in this area.  Being a little older and having gone through
the many changes that have occurred and are still occurring in dentistry and dental materials, I find that amalgam fillings are still very good for molar teeth.  This material has been put down for its mercury content, but if all decay is removed and the area of the tooth where the decay was is prepared properly amalgam fills well. The best part about amalgam fillings is time. Amalgam edges exposed to saliva develop corrosion, but this corrosion is good.  Over time it continues to further seal the fill against the tooth.

The bad part with amalgam for front teeth is its appearance.  For that reason composite fillings are still the best for repair of cavities of the front teeth.  

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude